Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Mental Health Awareness Month and Freebie

 

1 in 5 Canadians will experience a form of Mental Illness at some point in their life.  For something that quite common, mental illnesses are still feared and misunderstood by many people.  February is Mental Health Awareness Month here in Canada.   This includes quite a range of illnesses from Anxiety Disorders, Attention Deficit Disorders (ADD), Depression, Eating Disorders, Self-Injury and Suicide.  (and there are still more!) 

Two of the statistics that stands out for me is that a)  2 in 3 people suffer in silence fearing judgment and rejection.  and b) that only 49% of Canadians said they would socialize with a friend who has a serious mental illness. 

One of the highlights that stand out for me during this month is Bell’s Let’s Talk Day.  Which is February 12.  On that day, Bell will donate 5 cents more to mental health initiatives across Canada for every text and long distance call, by a Bell or Bell Alliant customer.  But this year they have also opened it up to facebook and twitter.   For every tweet that contains the hash tag #BellLetsTalk, as well as every facebook share of their Bell Let’s Talk image, they will also donate 5 cents more.  You can find more information on their website – HERE, or their facebook page – HERE  What a great fundraiser.  All we need to do is talk.  So please mark down February 12th, and help spread the word of Mental Illness. 

*I just wanted to note that I know that the donations from this day actually go to local charities through Canada.  Last year, the Waterloo Region Suicide Prevention Council (The region in which I live) actually received money.  We are by no means a large city.  Bell is do a great job of getting funds out to where they are needed.

Included in the month of Mental Health Awareness here in Canada also includes a week that is focused on eating disorders.  I personally knew they existed, but until I was diagnosed with one, I was not aware of how common they were.  But again, it comes out that the worst symptom is the silence.  So I am asking your help in spreading the word.  To help break free from the silence.  Sadly silence place a role in all mental health issues.

Today I also have a freebie to give you.  It is a small kit that I created when I had just learned that I have an eating disorder.  My mind was all over the place, and I found that being creative was the perfect outlet for me.  I would love to hear what you thought.

BC_EDA_Elements Preview

To Download, click on the previews below.  You will need to click on both the Elements Preview, and the Papers Preview in order to get the full kit.

BC_EDA_Kit PreviewBC_EDA_Papers Preview

You can also find more information at

Canadian Mental Health Association - http://www.cmha.ca/

The National Eating Disorder Information Centre (NEDIC) - http://nedic.ca

Kids Help Phone - http://org.kidshelpphone.ca  or 1-800-668-6868

Thank you for taking the time to read, any questions feel free to ask and I will help you find the information.  It would be wonderful if you could help me spread the word,

Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment